Travel + Food Photography: My Gustatory Life in KL

I promised a friend I'd blog about the food I encountered while I was away, and to try and tell her what's in each dish. Honestly though I don't think I'll be much help with deciphering the ingredients or how they were prepared, and I wasn't exactly comfortable with taking my camera out at the local Mamak stall, but I've taken photos of some of what I ate, some of which were my own preparation. Basically this is a peek at what I was eating while in KL. Click to enlarge photos.


On one of my first evenings in KL, Michelle and Reza took me out for dinner at one of the Chinese restaurants close to the condo. I forget the name, but we had the following.
Deep Fried Sotong and chili pork
*Deep Fried Sotong
Chinese Dinner
*Chili pork, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Kangkong. 
I realize that, save for the chilli pork, we repeated that meal in Petaling Street.

My first Friday in KL involved being at work early for a staff meeting, though my shift was from 2 to 10 that night. I had some time to explore the mall and that I did, wandering into the Arena food court under Jusco, LG level. Looked around and ordered Dried Pan Mee from Penang Noodle and Lam Mee. Just on impulse. 5.25 RM.
Dried Pan Mee Dried Pan Mee
*dried pan mee


My first real meal in KL was at around 130 to 2 AM. Kim had picked me up from KL Sentral and offered to buy me a meal. We promptly drove to one of the Mamak stalls close to the condo and had my first Nasi Lemak Ayam. However I didn't take photos then. Eventually though I ordered it again in several different locations, and purchased a couple of take-away ones from Jusco. The photos here are of the Nasi Lemak Biasa from Jusco. It's fattening rice (basically rice cooked in or with coconut milk), chili paste, with egg, peanuts and fish. I also ordered Nasi Goreng, though I have no pics of that though. Fail.
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
*Nasi Lemak

Also bought Sambal Mee Goreng from Jusco just to make it a bigger meal. All carbs, I know.
Photobucket Photobucket
*Sambal Mee Goreng

I know I could opt to eat at any of the Mamak stalls walking distance away, makes for a hot meal and all that.  I guess the fact that this would cost less (there's a 20-30% discount for these things after 7pm, La Boheme), and that I wouldn't have to walk to and back from the stalls made it a more obvious choice.

One of the perks / challenges of living alone is preparing your food yourself. Due to the state of certain appliances at my host's pad, I made do with what I had. One of the things that I actually managed to cook was pasta using the rice cooker. Only took photos of my first try, successfully done without mess. I bought some fish snacks from 711 for my protein, that's why that's in the photo. I mixed it in with the pasta.
   My successive ones also involved a white sauce made from cream of mushroom soup, mixed with squeezy cheese. :P
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
*pasta

The evening after my pasta adventure, some of the girls took me to SS2 for my first Lok lok experience. The set-up is basically that there is a rack, well, a van in this case, with several different kinds of foodstuffs on skewer, with different prices, on ice on each side of the van. Each side of said van also has 2 vats of boiling water or Tom Yam for you to stick your skewer of choice into to cook. You get a little box in which to combine your choice of sauces (mild, medium spicy, spicy spicy) to dip your foodstuff in. At the end of your meal, based on the color and number of sticks, proprietor will charge you accordingly.
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
   Aside from boiling the stuff, you can opt to have them grilled
Photobucket
*Lok Lok. Alright. That last pic probably isn't the most appetizing to look at, but I swear, it's good food.
Photobucket
On the opposite side of this guy's van, another person was selling taho and soymilk. Good eats.
   *Lok Lok side note. Every Monday in 1Utama, there is a stall in the LG level called Lok Lok Fun that offers eat all you can for 11.95 RM. I made it a point to go there for lunch on one of those days. Eeleen accompanied me. :) Sulit.


I'm not sure where Bubbletea originated, but I'd seen a store dedicated to it in SM Megamall before, but we had it so it counts. After the Loklok, we went and had Bubbletea a block away. Just a few pics of me and Jo.
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
*bubbletea

The one time I actually took a photo of what I ate at the Mamak Corner under the bridge was when I ordered Kuay Teow Goreng. It's basically flat noodles cooked goreng style, which is to say pan fried with a bit of soy sauce (is my guess) and peppers and vegetables.
Photobucket
*Kuayteow goreng

One of the last things I did on one of my last off days (third of three) in KL was go to Chinatown, where we walked around, checking stuff out. Mostly though, it kinda reminded me of Greenhills. Had Air Mata Kucing, and Tiger beer while we had dinner.
Photobucket Photobucket
*Air Mata Kucing   
"Water of the Cats Eyes"  longgan fruit based drink. Kind of tastes like sago gulaman to me.
Photobucket Photobucket
*Tiger beer.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
*Spicy deep fried Sotong, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Buttered fried chicken.

On the way out Inga treated us to Apam Balik, a local dessert which is like a peanut paste pancake sandwich.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
*Apam Balik. Michelle was, by far, the best model of us 3.

There you have it folks. My gustatory adventure in Kuala Lumpur. I'm sure there are other things that I wasn't able to explore or eat. That will have to wait until next time. :)

Comments

Leah said…
Sarap. Lamonfest!

Popular posts from this blog

Discussing the Term: Maniniyot

Review: A7 Sports Action Cam via Lazada.com.ph

Camera (Equipment) Hunting: Kako Auto 300S Series Cut-Off System flash.