Remembering, Reliving, Relearning: Just becase you're a professional doesn't mean you know it all

Like Socrates once said (though I know I might be paraphrasing), a wise man knows that he knows nothing.

Well, I don't think I'm too proud to admit it. :) There are times when I feel like I need to improve my work, look at more pictures, emulate greater / more skilled photographers to add to my own skill set. However, in my 14 or so years of "being a photographer", I'd like to think I've learned enough to get by.

I've been taking photos for roughly 14 or so years. I got my first camera when I was 13, back when I was still in 7th grade I think. It was one of those point and shoot deals which used 110 film (Does anyone remember what 110 film looks like? Do they still even make it?). Anyway, I took photos on a field trip we had to who knows where anymore... and in immortalizing those moments (albeit temporarily on 3R prints I've long since lost), I've been hooked ever since.

Photography isn't always just point and shoot though, as I would later learn, thanks to my first experience with SLRs and further exposure to photography through the Ateneo de Manila High School Photography Club (member from 1994 to 1998), being the first class photographer for class A'98, and in every short course / class and workshop I've taken since then.
There's a science behind drawing with light. Through controlling your camera's shutter speed and aperture, you're able to get different exposures and allow your photograph to exude different moods, you're able to adjust to shooting in different locations and the different lighting conditions present thereat.
There's also that sense of timing
with regards to the actual shoot. It's not enough to know how to do it, you also have to have an idea when exactly to do it. While you might be able to browse books and get teachers for the former, I believe one has to learn the latter for one's self.

I think that, over the years, I've learned some useful things about photography. And while more and more people are jumping into photography as a hobby more readily because of easily affordable and available Digital SLRs, not all of them are able to fully utilize these magnificent machines even for their simplest functions (those who know me and are guilty of this, well, thanks for the idea :P). Since I started this blog to share my work, my passion and what I've learned about photography, I think I'm going to come up with mini-tutorials / tips to get the ball rolling for those who find themselves with DSLRs and don't quite know what they're getting themselves into.

:) I will do that in the coming entries hopefully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discussing the Term: Maniniyot

Review: A7 Sports Action Cam via Lazada.com.ph

Camera (Equipment) Hunting: Kako Auto 300S Series Cut-Off System flash.