Camera (Equipment) Hunting: Kako Auto 300S Series Cut-Off System flash.

It's been awhile and a couple of months since I started talking about blogging more regularly. Yeah, I know. What's new right? I'd talked about several film photography projects I had in mind but I wasn't really able to push through with those, or rather I hadn't found the time to have the film developed. Until recently. More on that in another post later this week.


I visited a Japan Surplus Warehouse today and found several items of interest. But since I wasn't sure about the other items as they're all usually sold “as is”, and because I was low on funds, the only thing I went home with was this Kako Auto 300SSeries Cut-Off System Flash.


It was a bit of a gamble, as it is with these places. I'm glad to find out though that it works! Now if only it came with a manual. There's only a dial guide on the back and I believe I understand how to use it, but it would be nice to have some confirmation. Before I do wind up using it on / with my film cameras, I think I'll it out on the DSLR... which I left in Metro Manila. 

This isn't my first Japan Surplus purchase, however it is my first flash. It's a bit bulky to be honest, not as portable as I'd like, but I'm jazzed just to have been able to buy something that works.

My first Japan Surplus purchase was this:


Canon Demi half frame camera, which I wrote about in this post.

Analogue / Film camera hunting in the Philippines involves trips to these kinds of stores, relying on cameras sourced mainly from Japan. Since the proprietors of these kinds of shops usually don't have much of a photography background, you could, in theory, get a camera for a song. You could also wind up with an expensive paper weight if you're not sure what you're looking for. You can also go online, via olx.ph and similar online sites, however nothing beats the thrill of discovering a diamond in the rough.


Comments

Unknown said…
saan pong surplus kayo nagtungo?
Jacebu said…
Hi Karmela!

The surplus shop in question is in Starmall corner Shaw and Edsa. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Discussing the Term: Maniniyot

Review: A7 Sports Action Cam via Lazada.com.ph